Frankie and Johnny (1991)

Director: Garry Marshall

Writer: Terence McNally, based on his play

Stars: Al Pacino, Michelle Pfeiffer, Hector Elizondo, Nathan Lane, Kate Nelligan, Jane Morris, Greg Lewis, Al Fann, Ele Keats, Fernando Lopez



A middle-aged ex-con (Al Pacino) who is desperate for love pursues a middle-aged waitress (Michelle Pfeiffer) who is wary of it.



 Will they or won’t they? 



This film has a lot of schmaltzy romance tropes that usually don’t wear well with me. 



The non-threatening gay best friend.

 


The tight community of workers in a dead-end job who are just like a big old family. 



Pacino’s persistent refusal to take no for an answer hasn’t aged well with the times. 



Early on, I found myself doing a lot of eye-rolling. 



Somehow, though, it won me over and I absolutely loved it by the end. 



Perhaps it was the wonderful performances by Pacino, Pfeiffer, and the terrific supporting cast. 



Perhaps it was some invisible alchemy by veteran director Garry Marshall. 



Whatever it was, I have to admit that I was a little dewy-eyed by the end.


























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lust, Caution (2007)

The Thing (1982)

The Insidious Dr. Fu Manchu (AKA The Mystery of Dr. Fu Manchu) (Fu Manchu #1) (1913)