The Big Lebowski (1998)

Director: Joel Coen

Writers: Ethan Coen & Joel Coen

Stars: Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Julianne Moore, Steve Buscemi, David Huddleston, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Tara Reid



A laid-back slacker (Jeff Bridges) and his high-strung buddy (John Goodman) get caught up in a complex kidnap scheme.

 


"The Big Lebowski" has amassed a huge cult following, so I came to this film with high expectations. 



I enjoyed it, but I must admit that I don't see why it has inspired such devotion that annual conventions are held, and books have been written in its honor. 



However, it has an offbeat rhythm and there may be more than meets the eye at first viewing. 



The Coen brothers devote as much screen time (or maybe more) to bowling and the men who enjoy such simple pleasures as they do to the busy machinations of the crime and the schemers behind it, which suggests that they have something to say about what really matters in life. 



I own a copy of the film, I will certainly watch it again, and I suspect that it will grow on me.



























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lust, Caution (2007)

The Thing (1982)

The Insidious Dr. Fu Manchu (AKA The Mystery of Dr. Fu Manchu) (Fu Manchu #1) (1913)