Ringu (1998)

Director: Hideo Nakata

Writers: Hideo Nakata, from the novel by Koji Suzuki

Stars: Nanako Matsushima, Hiroyuki Sanada, Yuko Takeuchi, Hitomi Sato, Yoichi Numata, Yutaka Matsushige, Katsumi Muramatsu



A reporter (Nanako Matsushima) and her ex-husband (Hiroyuki Sanada) investigate a cursed videotape that kills its viewers within seven days. 



They have to work fast, since both they and the reporter's young son have already seen it.

 


I was fortunate to have seen this film before the American remake, albeit without subtitles. Even watching in a language which I understand only sporadically, I was hooked. I've seen it since with sub-titles and find it much superior to the US version. The creepy soundtrack and the lack of high-tech, big budget gloss lends an immediacy to the scares. The climax, in particular, provoked a reaction from me that I thought I had become too jaded for.


Spoiler alert!!! From the end of the movie!!












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of the Affair (1951)

The Thing (1982)

The Man of Bronze (Doc Savage #1) (1933)