Three...Extremes (2004)

HALLOWEEN REVIEWS 2021

Directors: Fruit Chan, Park Chan-Wook, Takashi Miike

Writers: Park Chan-Wook, Haruko Fukushima, Pik-Wah Lee

Stars: Bai Ling, Lee Byung-hun, Kyoko Hasegawa, Pauline Lau, Im Won-hee, Atsuro Watabe



I was looking forward to seeing this film because of the good reviews I'd read and because I had seen very good work from Takashi Miike and Park Chan-Wook (I'd never heard of Fruit Chan before), but I was very disappointed. 



Miike's "Box" is the best of the bunch, a surreal psychological portrait of guilt with a startling image at the end. 



Chan's "Dumplings" is an obvious, simplistic morality play with an ending I could see from a mile away. 



(I wonder if it plays better for Chinese speakers. It occurred to me that this segment could function as a commentary on China's one-child policy, but this is not evident from the subtitles.) 



Park's "Cut" is a bizarre set-piece that provoked much discussion among the people I saw it with about exactly what happened and what it meant; the only thing we could all agree on was that this contrived mess wasn't worth the energy of the debate.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of the Affair (1951)

The Thing (1982)

The Man of Bronze (Doc Savage #1) (1933)