I Am Legend (1954)

HALLOWEEN REVIEWS 2021

by Richard Matheson




Robert Neville blockades himself in his home every night to ward off the hordes of vampires that have taken over the world. 



By day, he slays the undead in their sleep and researches their affliction, never suspecting what he himself is turning into. 



Richard Matheson's seminal horror/SF novel is a terse, gripping tale of loneliness and a meditation on what it means to be human and what it means to be a monster.

 

Richard Matheson


There is plenty of vampire action, but what really touched me was Matheson's depiction of Neville's reaction to solitude: his drinking, his melancholy reminiscences of his wife and daughter, his battle against despair, his heartbreaking attempt to befriend a dog, and the redemptive power in simply being seen and recognized by a sympathetic soul.



"I Am Legend" (Arabic)

British

"I Am Legend" (Bulgarian)



"I Am a Legend" (Chinese)

"I Am the Last One" (Danish)

"I Am a Legend" (Finnish)

"I Am a Legend" (French)

"I Am a Legend" (German)

"I, the Last Person" (German)

"Living Legend" (Greek)

"I Am the Legend" (Hebrew)

"I Am Legend" (Italian)

"I Am Legend" (Korean)

"I Am a Legend" (Lithuania)

"I Am a Legend" (Polish)

"Vampire World" (Portuguese)

"The Last Hope on Earth" (Portuguese)

"I Am Legend" (Russian)

"I Am Legend" (Croatian)

"I Am Legend" (Spanish)

"Legend" (Swedish)

"I, Legend" (Turkish)

"We Are All Vampires" (Turkish)

"Dead" (Vietnamese)

"I Am a Legend" (Catalan)

"I, Legend" (Czech)

"I Am the Legend" (Portuguese)

"Guests of the Night" (Turkish)

"The Vampires" (Italian)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of the Affair (1951)

The Insidious Dr. Fu Manchu (AKA The Mystery of Dr. Fu Manchu) (Fu Manchu #1) (1913)

The Thing (1982)