Zatoichi (2003)



 Zatoichi (2003)

Director: Takeshi Kitano

Writer: Takeshi Kitano, based on novels by Kan Shimozawa

Stars: Takeshi Kitano, Tadanobu Asano, Michio Tasuda, Taka Guadalcanal, Daigoro Tachibana, Yuko Daike, Yui Natsukawa



I wanted to love Beat Takeshi's reimagining of the popular Japanese hero Zatoichi, but it just didn't stand up to the original. 



Unfortunately, I found it to be overpopulated with sketchily drawn characters. 



In addition, I could not identify a good reason for some important actions on the part of several characters, which I can't get into without revealing key plot points. 



Some reviewers disliked the percussive, almost musical segments, but I found these to be a strength of the film. 



I had heard about these segments in reviews and was looking forward to them but even here, although I did enjoy them, I was also disappointed. 



I expected and wanted them to be presented as Zatoichi's personal experience of the world; such a unique recognition of patterns and rhythms in everyday life would go a long way toward explaining his prodigious skills and awareness as a blind man as well as the state of perpetual amusement he seems to be in. 



Instead, they were simply presented as musical numbers for the audience to enjoy. 



I did enjoy them, but it seemed like a lost opportunity. 



Other strong points of this film were the sudden, explosive action scenes and Takeshi's stolid, quirky performance.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of the Affair (1951)

The Thing (1982)

The Man of Bronze (Doc Savage #1) (1933)