Over Sea, Under Stone (The Dark Is Rising #1) (1965)

by Susan Cooper



Three siblings on summer holiday discover an ancient treasure map and race against the forces of the Dark in order to unlock its secrets.

 


This is one of those books that I’ve always known I should read and have finally gotten around to. 



I have not been disappointed.

 

"Above the Sea, Under the Earth" (Italian)


Susan Cooper masterfully evokes long, lazy vacations in a seaside getaway, where every feature of the geography seems to promise wonderful things.

 

Susan Cooper


I was reminded of my own beach vacations as a boy, my brother and I making up stories about every cave we found and longing for a real adventure. 


"Before the Tide Comes" (German)


The fantasy aspects of the story are nearly nonexistent, so some readers may feel like they are the victims of a bait and switch, but the quality of this story and the writing is so high that I did not feel cheated.

 


Many reviewers have noted that the series improves with later installments, so I know I have some great reading ahead of me.



"Over Sea, Under Stone" (Dutch)

"Over Sea, Under Stone" (Finnish)

"Over Sea, Under Stone" (Latvian)

"Over the Sea and Over the Stone" (Portuguese)

"The Chalice Under the Rock" (Romanian)

"Over Sea, Under Stone" (Serbian)

"Over Sea, Under Stone" (Swedish)

"On the Sea, Under the Deep Rock" (Vietnamese)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of the Affair (1951)

The Thing (1982)

The Man of Bronze (Doc Savage #1) (1933)